Monday 5 April 2010

Lost - Fate vs Free Will - Season 1

For any statistic junkies out there like me, check out this for the "Fate vs Free Will" debate - every single mention of  "constant", "destiny", "fate" and "we have to go back" VS every mention of "choice", "choose, "don't tell me what I can't do" and "variable".

I toyed with whether to do a full-scale every single mention of the words or a contextual count of the mentions - I've gone with contextual, so you will see Randy's mocking "You think it's your destiny?" or Christian's "Don't choose. Don't decide." count as negatives as they are anti-statements, and you also won't see Locke's rants count towards 35 "destiny"s - one line, one count.

Anyway, have fun!


Fate (25)

Constant (0)

Destiny (4)
S1E4 - Locke - Why? It was his destiny.
S1E4 - Locke - This is destiny. This is destiny. This is my destiny.
S1E14 - Michael - This us taking control of our destiny.
S1E24 - Locke - It's destiny.

Fate (5)
S1E16 - Christian - It's fate. 
S1E21 - Haddad - Perhaps it is fate. 
S1E21 - Essam - Haddad was right, it was fate that brought us back together.
S1E24 - Locke - We'll let fate decide. 
S1E24 - Sun - Fate.

We Have To Go Back (9)
S1E1 - Kate - We have to go back for him.
S1E5 - Boone - You gotta go back. 
S1E13 - Boone - Let's go back
S1E13 - Shannon - You should go back.
S1E13 - Shannon - And then we'll just go back. 
S1E16 - Sun - I want to go back.
S1E19 - Boone - That's it. Let's go back. 
S1E23 - Walt - Stay, Vincent. Go back, Vincent. Vincent, go back, go back. 
S1E24 - Sayid - You're going to have to go back.

Anti-Choice (5)
S1E9 - Danielle - I had no choice. They were already lost. 
S1E14 - Michael - But it's not his choice. It's mine.
S1E20 - Jack - There's no other choice. 
S1E21 - Kate - You had no choice. 
S1E24 - Kate - You had no right to make that choice

Anti-Choose (2)
S1E5 - Christian - Don't choose, Jack, don't decide.
S1E23 - Sun - There really wasn't much to choose from



Free Will (25)

Choice (12)
S1E1 - Jack - So I just made a choice.
S1E5 - Unnamed Bully - It's your choice man, walk away now and you won't get your ass kicked.
S1E6 - Locke - Give it up now at least it will be your choice.
S1E7 - Priest - Well, we all have our temptations, but giving in to them, that's your choice.
S1E7 - Charlie - Well, then, I've made my choice.
S1E7 - Locke - Having choices, making decisions based on more than instinct, is the only thing that separates you from him [a boar].
S1E7 - Charlie - I've made my choice.
S1E8 - Jack - This was Sawyer's choice.
S1E16 - Duckett - Only two choices, shrimp in mild sauce, shrimp in hot sauce.
S1E21 - Sayid - There's always a choice.
S1E23 - Danielle - You have only 3 choices - run, hide, or die. 
S1E24 - Michael - There's only 2 choices - you're either a hero or you want to die.

Choose (1)
S1E23 - Sayid - Choose wisely when you use it.

Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do (5)
S1E4 - Locke - Just don't tell me what I can't do.  (to Randy)
S1E4 - Locke - Don't tell me what I can't do. (to Kate)
S1E4 - Locke - Don't ever tell me what I can't do, ever. (to Travel Agent)
S1E19 - Locke - No, don't tell me what I can't do. 
S1E20 - Jack - Don't tell me what I can't do!

Variable (0)

Anti-Destiny (3)
S1E4 - Randy - That's what you think you've got, old man? Destiny?
S1E24 - Jack - Did you talk with Boone about destiny, John?
S1E24 - Jack - I don't believe in destiny.

Anti-Fate (2)
S1E16 - Jack - Instead of taking responsibility for it, he just put it on fate.
S1E24 - Claire - There's no such thing as fate.

Anti-We Have To Go Back (2)
S1E13 - Boone - We never go back.
S1E20 - Shannon - I don't want to go back.



So, there you have it. It would appear, for Season 1 at least, there is a dead-even tie between Destiny and Free Will. Spooky! I think Sayid says it best:

S1E20 - Sayid - Maybe we should go back?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave feedback - both positive and negative are greatly received! =)