Thursday 22 April 2010

Lost Blogging Collective Q&A - Week 11

Aloha one and all! The Lost Blogging Collective returns to you this week with more exciting questions and answers. As Lost enters the final length of the final race of this grand marathon, I am more thankful now than ever that this great group of exciting writers and fans have bonded together in a theory and opinion sharing project. We all have great fun every week writing this for you all, and I hope you have as much fun reading it.

In the years to come, I hope this provides a wonderful snapshot of our final Lost year, but for now, here are this week's Questions and Answers.

1) What did you think of Hurley's episode in general, and specifically the return of Libby? Has it been worth all the hints and teases over the years - of Libby returning, of Desmond being a 'super' man, of Hurley being a leader - was this episode, in essence, worth the wait?

2) We've seen Desmond. We've seen Daniel. We've seen Charlie, Boone, Locke, Mikhail, Keamy, Charlotte, Michael! We've seen pretty much everybody this season, but one man is missing - Walt! Do you think we will see Walt before the end, and how would YOU write him back into the show?



1) I loved the episode personally. Libby and Desmond's stories are very intriguing. I only wish Libby would've experienced something more traumatic or emotional-laced than "I saw your commercial" that reminded her of Hurley.

2) I believe Walt will indeed return. I feel like he's going to return, knowing more of his "powers". The only awkward thing is going to be him coming back as a 10 or 13 year old, with the actor being 17 now. As a footnote, we haven't seen Eko either and I really would like him to return!!



1) The Altered Universe story and everything with Desmond worked very well, I thought. We still don't know why Libby was in Santa Rosa with Hurley in the original timeline, but whatever the reason, having the hospital be what facilitated their reunion in the Altered Universe was a nice pay-off. I'd love a bit more info on Original Timeline Libby, (including why she lied about Hurley stepping on her foot), but if this is all we get, then I'd say the character was well-justified on the whole as a link in the show's chain. Desmond's role as a 'super' man continues to build and will be something to keep an eye on for sure as the series ends. I'm fine with Hurley's growth as a leader, but we the audience need to know where he's getting his ideas. I go into detail on my blog about what didn't work for me in this episode (Illana's casual dismissal and Hurley's sudden, unmotivated, out-of-nowhere decision to go see "Locke"), but this is largely a case of what was building the last few episodes (since 6.07 [Dr. Linus]) not paying-off clearly -- what's been building for the course of the entire series is still paying off nicely.

2) I would certainly hope we'll see Walt in some capacity in the finale. He's shown up somewhere every season so far! I'm of the opinion that Walt is a character who got his "powers" from an electromagnetically-imbued location elsewhere than the Island (Like Isaac of Uhluru [Rose's Faith-Healer] or perhaps Richard Malkin [Claire's Psychic]). But the Island being the mother of all electromagnetic energy sites, Walt's powers interact with the Island in curious ways. This would be why the Others were interested in studying him, but decided they got more than they could handle and ultimately traded him for Ben's safe return. It's also probably connected to Shannon's Walt sightings. But considering what Taller Ghost Walt told Locke he ought to do in 3.22 (Through the Looking Glass), that appearance of Walt was probably some sort of MIB-induced vision. So if I were to bring Walt back in Season 6, I would want to reference both the MIB's use of his image as well as the general consequences of bringing someone with Walt's abilities to the Island. I've also always loved the idea that (in some way) Walt never left the Island, whether it's been stamped with his psychic presence, or whether he can somehow physically project himself there in an inverse of the way that certain Others (Richard/Ethan/Mr.Friendly) seem to be able to leave the Island without truly leaving it.



1) I think this episode is on the short list of episodes this season that answered enough questions to be considered a finale quality episode. The Flash Sideways has become great with the last two episodes, and I think Libby's story feels less like a loose end now, which is never a bad thing with this show.

2) I have a close friend who believes that Walt will end up being the Smoke Monster in some form by the end of the show. Similar to how there must be a replacement for Jacob, my friend believes Walt will be the Island's monster in captivity by the end. I personally think we won't see Walt at all, or not for more than a couple scenes to explain his character off.



1) Yes it definitely was worth the wait. The story and the way that they brought Libby back was so awesome and so satisfying. I kind of wish that when she mentioned that she had checked herself into the mental institute that they would have given her one or two lines explaining why, but that was a very minor thing. It was just so awesome! I love the Flash Sideways.

2) I have no idea really how they could work him in unless they do it as a big surprise at the end of the second to last episode or in the final episode, with the direction that the season is going since we haven’t seen any set up for it yet. If I were doing things I would probably do that reveal and then involve him in the big final battle with some ability that combines with Desmond's that could defeat MIB.



1) Dude. I must say the reunion with Libby was even BETTER than I expected.  In fact, when they kissed on the beach and Hurley’s Island memories came flooding back to him, I totally started crying uncontrollably.  My fiancĂ© looked at me like I was the biggest Dork on Earth, but it was so sweet and so unexpected.  I didn’t realize how much I had missed her, and how much I have come to really love Hugo over the years.  The episode title was kind of personal in that regard.

Hurley also deserves his place as the new Leader.  He has the most genuine sense of “goodness” of all our LOSTies.  Besides the occasional white-lie, I cannot think of anything Hurley has done to intentionally harm anyone.  He has always been the one to try and keep others’ spirits up, keep them safe, keep them LOVED.  He has surpassed his earlier child-like innocence and has taken on more and more responsibility, so his new role is fitting in my opinion.  I just really only want the best for the Biggest Hearted Dude on LOST.

In regards to Desmond, I have always seen him as the main “wild card” and always figured it would either be Desmond or Locke who would ultimately save the Island.  This is probably why they remain my two favorite characters of all time as well.  Now with the latter, uh, indisposed (for the time being – yes I’m still holding the torch, baby!), I am guessing it really will be Desmond, the most unwilling hero, who will Save Us All.

(BTW Funny you used the term “Super
man… I had picked The Flaming Lips for my latest recap band of choice.)

2) One of my favorite moments in the show’s history was the surprising return of Walt as Locke’s motivation when he was shot by Ben and left for dead in the ol’ Purge Pit.  I think the return of Taller Ghost Walt is in order!  He doesn’t need to be on the Island.  We know he has the ability to appear in places where he shouldn’t be.  I want one final Walt-Vision.  Perhaps if only to tease The Lockeness Monster, or perhaps to once again serve as motivator and help coax the Real John Locke into full consciousness and give MIB the boot from that body once and for all! 


Izikavazo @ Not Confused, Just Lost
http://ncjl.wordpress.com/

1) I think the Libby thing was worth the wait.  After the build up of the Hurley Libby relationship in Season 2 and the extremely shocking end of that relationship it was very gratifying seeing those two get a happy moment.

As for the Desmond's new awareness, it's great to watch.  But when I tried to guess what his future was going to hold I never really connected him to any of the other characters.  I've always just put Desmond off in a corner away from all the normals.  So it's fun watching, but I won't pretend that I ever expected him to be the link between all these characters and the guide to their enlightenment.

Now Hurley's leadership.  That's something I always hoped to see, but I thought I was being delusional.  Now look, he's doing Jack's job.

2) This is a torturous question.  I always wanted Walt to come back, I don't think I'm alone there.  But at this point I'm about to give up hope.  I was so sure that the Oceanic 6 storyline was the means to get Walt back on the show.  These characters were off the Island, they were coming back, they had a time jump, they needed as many Island people on the plane as possible to make it work.  I was so sure that all of this was the writers way of getting Walt back on the show.  But I was wrong.  Now we've had another group find their way to the Island, on Widmore's submarine, but still no Walt in sight.

As for the other timeline, it's 2004 over there, so unless there's a time jump I don't think we'll see him there.
The only other way I can imagine Walt coming back is if everyone dies in the finale and the Island is uninhabited, and then Walt get's there all alone and becomes the next Jacob.  That would be fun (and quite insane).


Scott @ The Stuff Of Legend
http://www.im-thinking19.blogspot.com/

1) I LOVED "Everybody Loves Hugo". I thought it was a great mix of humor, romance, plot, and stuff getting blown up. The return of Libby was extremely satisfying, and I think that Garcia and Watros have a very sweet chemistry that is unique to them.

To say whether it was "worth the wait"... I don't think that the stories of Hurley and Desmond are completed yet, so it is difficult to say. I do like that Hurley is finally gaining some confidence in himself, and we are seeing that manifest in both timelines.

As far as Desmond goes, I'm still not convinced that he is totally "aware" of everything that is going on in both timelines. For instance, I don't think he hit Locke with his car because Fake-Locke threw him down a well. I think that in the Sideways timeline, he is aware that something is "off", and he's trying to convince the others of the same thing so that they can help him do.... whatever it is they are going to do in order to try and reconcile the two.

On the Island, he seems very Zen... I think this is because, as crazy and screwed up as things seem, that timeline is the RIGHT one, and it is progressing the way it has to. Island Desmond is aware enough to know that no matter what happens in this timeline, it could be worse... he could be stuck in the other "wrong" one.

2) Man, I sure HOPE we see Walt again... otherwise, there was an awful lot of time spent telling us how freaking "SPECIAL" he is for no reason.

I know that Malcolm David Kelly's growth spurt caused the writers some issues, but I think at this point they could write him back in without much issue... it's been three years, after all, and as the father of two teenagers I can tell you that a massive growth spurt in three years is certainly within the realm of possibility.

If I were to write him back into the show, I would probably have him somehow "drawn" to Desmond and the group that he is putting together somehow. Maybe he shows up at wherever they end up gathering together, saying that he doesn't know why, but something has been driving him to find something or someone, but he doesn't know what. He even flew to Sydney, Australia and back, just because "something" told him to... he was supposed to fly back a few days ago, but he got sidetracked and missed his flight.

The flight he missed? OCEANIC FLIGHT 815.


Ms Wendy @ It's About Bunnies!
http://mswendy.wordpress.com/

1) They had me at the Hurley Tribute video... loved this episode. For me, worth the wait. At first, I wasn't too happy with Ilana blowing up. But LOST has shown us that the stakes have been high since Season One. That "life is a series of choices". And, regardless of what you think is your "destiny" , those choices (like slamming a bag of leaky dynamite on the ground) can sometimes have dire consequences.  Unless you're Richard... ;)

2) In Season One, when Locke grabbed Walt's arm, he told him "Don't open that thing, Mr. Locke.... just don't open it". He knew what was going on with The Hatch. Did that include who was inside of it, i.e. Desmond? So, just like in Season 3, Walt helping Locke get out of the Dharma Death Pit, Walt could be standing over the well. The question is... would he be there to help Des or not? 


Karen @ Karen's Lost Notebook
http://karenslostnotebook.blogspot.com/

1) I loved this Hugo episode.  It was filled with important info.  Seeing Libby, Dr. Brooks and Mama Reyes was great.  One thing I noticed with his episode is that there weren’t any “mirror” moments in it for Hugo.   I wonder if that is because he’s “the guy who isn’t even in the game”.  It all was worth the wait.

2)  I have not counted out Waaaaalt at all.  I believe we will see where he still fits in.


Nikki @ Nik At Nite http://nikkistafford.blogspot.com/
1) I think it was a fantastic episode, but it didn't feel to me like the big question-answering episode we've been waiting for... it did establish Desmond as the man who was going to bring everyone together. It didn't answer the question of why Libby was in the mental hospital with Hurley, unless the suggestion is that in the original timeline, she was perhaps seeing the sideways world and was unable to cope with it then. And maybe she really DIDN'T remember Hurley. But I still find it more than coincidental that she was in the hospital with Hurley AND she was the one who gave the boat to Desmond AND she was the one at the airport asking Eko if he was OK and was still getting on the plane. So many things pointed to her possibly being in cahoots with the island, and I'm not sure that will ever be answered.

That aside, I loved the story between Hugo and Libby in the SW, and the scene of them finally getting their picnic -- blankets and all -- brought tears to my eyes. Beautifully done by the writers, and even more beautifully done by the actors. I adored this episode.

2) That's a really tough one, mostly because Walt is simply too old right now. And I'd never want them to re-cast that character. They can't have him in the SW, because he's supposed to be 11, but they can have him over in this timeline and even though the actor must be pushing 19 at this point, he could probably pull off 15, which is a year older than Walt is in the original timeline. (And maybe they're just hoping we don't do the math!) I'm not sure we will see Walt again, and because of that I haven't thought of how I'd work him into the show. Many, many people see the Walt/Michael storyline as being unfinished, but I don't feel that way. Walt was introduced as the kid who was special, and the Others saw that and took him, and he became the catalyst for the events that ended season 2 and essentially spurred the rest of the series. He brought the Others out of the woodwork; he forced Michael on his expedition; he was put in Room 23 and Ben had tests run on him; he proved too dangerous for them to continue with him and they needed to get rid of him, but they knew Michael didn't know that, so they bribed Michael to go and get the 4 people to come to the other side of the island and free Henry Gale, thus spawning everything else that happened. Walt's specialness was important just for that reason, and we got a satisfying conclusion from it (there has been no solid explanation for him appearing to Shannon or Locke, so it might be nice to get that). Then we continued to follow Michael's quest for redemption, and as of last week we discovered that he's trapped in a purgatory for the things he did, which seems like the way to end his character. He's sorry for what he did, and we know that, and we also know Walt is happily in NY with his grandmother and safe from the Bentham episode, so that storyline is done for me. But I do see why other people would want to bring it back.

Now, if they brought back EKO, on the other hand... THAT would be exciting for me. :)


Ernie @ Gulf Coast Offense
http://gulfcoastoffense.blogspot.com/

1) I enjoyed the episode and am happy that we're finally getting somewhere in the sideways world. The return of Libby was cool, but not as cool as it would have been to have gotten her original backstory. I like Hurley as a leader, as he's always been used as the voice of the audience and comic relief. Maybe with him as leader, we're on the fast track to learning that Lost is all about. Desmond has always been a great character, but I wouldn't call him superman, he's just the uniquely special guy who will piece this entire puzzle together. I think this episode was worth the wait, but really when you think about it, the first half of this season is sort of a waste. We could have done without the temple all together and the earlier flash sideways stories didn't really get us anywhere.

2) I would love to see Walt back before the end of the show because I feel like there's so much more to his story than what we've learned. In the grand scheme of things and the current situation on the show though, I don't think Walt will come into play. I'm not even sure how they could write him back unless he appears in the sideways world, which wouldn't be as satisfying.


Chris @ Super Duper Stream
http://superduperstream.blogspot.com/

1) I have been adamant for 4 years now that the way the writers handle Libby's (lack of) story would define the entire show. While I absolutely LOVED this episode, on reflection I think I may be right. This final season has been a lot of fun and contained some of the best scenes and episodes of the series, but the whole thing seems like a bandage being applied to a leaking wound. The writers obviously never anticipated the sheer volume of stories and theories and fan response, and they are so far doing an excellent job of providing us with all that we think we want to see - they did it in Season 5 with the time travelling covering all of Dharma and Danielle's storylines, and they are doing it this Season by showing us how things could have been. But the real answer is, we still haven't got Libby's story. But, for an ALTERNATIVE to what we think we want, this episode did just fine, and although I would rather have not had to wait so long, it was worth it in the end. Now please don't ignore Hurley for the remaining episodes!

2) As with the above, Walt is another neglected character. While I would love to see Eko (and all the other characters including Tom, Shannon, Goodwin etc) none of them have been neglected where Walt (and Libby) have. The Jeremy Bentham episode seemed like (to use the bleeding wound analogy) a little plaster applied to Walt's story, or perhaps a metaphor for real life events - perhaps the actor has moved away from Lost and doesn't wish to return? Whatever the reasons, again I would have liked to see Walt's proper storyline and not the ALTERNATIVE that he is living with his Grandmother and is seemingly normal. That might be nice, but nice isn't Lost.

But to get back to the question, yes, I believe we will see Walt before the end. How I personally would write him in to the episodes is dramatic - I would give us, the viewers, a pinch of respect and just show Walt as a taller version of his original self in the Alternative timeline. We all know he has grown in real life, so we should just deal with it - we've managed to overlook changing hairstyles (especially Sawyer's) over the years.
So Walt and Michael turn up at the hospital for whatever reason (perhaps Michael is still with Walt's mother and she is pregnant again and is in for a scan). Walt runs into David, who goes to his school, they get chatting and so Michael meets Jack, who at this point has been 'woken up' and, his hero complex kicking in, does something horrible to put Michael and Walt's lives at risk - but saves them in the end, waking them up in the process. Walt's powers live on in the Alternative world, which combined with Desmond and newly-heroic Jack, gives them the power to right whatever wrong needs fixed. (And I can't believe I just wrote a story that involves Jack being the hero! I guess he has grown on me this year!)

1 comment:

Leave feedback - both positive and negative are greatly received! =)